Storm Sewer

As a broad overview, the City has approximately 33 miles of streets, with the vast majority served by concrete curb and gutter and storm sewer.  Storm sewer is a network of inlets, pipes, swales, ditches, ponds, lakes and wetlands.  Some ponds are created as part of projects while others have naturally occurred.  We have approximately 82 formal ponds in the City covering a variety of sizes. There are many more informal ponds.

The City’s stormwater system generally meets a 10 year design.  In other words, the City storm sewer is sized to handle a storm event with an intensity that occurs one in 10 years.  That is equivalent to a rainfall of 3.7” in 24 hours.  Minnesota is experiencing patterns of drought followed by heavier and more intense storms, so the chances of receiving this sort of rainfall certainly occurs more frequently than in past years.   

 A series of regulations, such as the 1987 amendment to the Clean Water Act, have directed municipalities to work more closely with watersheds and water management organizations to monitor, control and reduce storm water runoff.  The City contains two watershed districts.  The largest is the Vadnais Lake Area Watershed Management Organization (VLAWMO), which covers about 75% of the City.  The remaining 25% of the City is within the Ramsey Washington Metro Watershed District.   

Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program (SWPPP)

The City is required by law to prepare a document called the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program (SWPPP).   The City also conducts an annual meeting regarding the SWPPP.  This annual meeting gives the council, residents and business persons an opportunity to discuss the City’s storm water system, in particular the programs to prevent or reduce pollution.  The annual meeting is advertised as a Public Hearing in the Vadnais Heights Press and on our City website. 


If you have any questions regarding the City’s storm water system, please call 651-204-6000.